The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms- Week 8 Urban Fantasy



I personally don’t have much to say on this weeks novel ‘The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms’ by N.K. Jemisin mostly cause I was not a fan of it. I felt like this book was too complicated and fast pasted to truly understand what was going on. Of course writers should not talk down to their readers but for a person who is new to reading novels from Urban Fantasy genre I was completely lost making it hard to enjoy. I think a well written novel should be able to be easy understood by a larger audience then the small niche that enjoys it. That way the book would be more popular and create a bigger fan base leading to high sale rates. In the terms of smart business thinking applying to a larger demographic is always a better way to go. 
The other reason I found the book hard to pick up or even turn each page is the use of Gods. This maybe completely personal taste but God and Monster stories are almost every single time sound like some Deviantart fanfic that got some single mother publisher to approve it. I must state that I do study many different religions and accent deities being a new-aged pagan. So I cannot un-marry myself from the deities proper place and personalities described in new and ancient pagan documentation. It also bothers me to see them miss represented considering my knowledge on them and how one is meant to respect them. Pushing even that to the side I found the main character is un-relatable and quite frankly annoying. Her self-righteousness over her situation yet lack of effort to actually do anything about it is hypocritical to the words she spits on each page. I feel like I could give this novel a chance if she wasn’t in it, If it was world building and understanding the other characters it could have being interesting. The one thing I did enjoy was the large range of diversity in the characters ethnicity. It was the leading factor of me wanting to truly enjoy the novel and wanting to be able to read it through however it was just not me. 


Comments