A Clockwork Orange - Week 13




        This week I actually read Slapstick this week by Kurt Vonnegut It was interesting and very compelling considering it being autobiography, however once I realized that A Clockwork Orange was an option to talk about this week I couldn’t pass it by. I personally am a huge fan of a “Clockwork Orange”. The way the novel is written is completely immersive with its own personal slang that he images as future teen talk. At the time the book was written England was going through an uprising of young crime. Children gangs on the streets were getting more and more popular and devious. Using that fear already settling in England Anthony writes is masterpiece about a young twisted english boy named Alex. Alex is written to be the ugliest, curliest, murders ass whole known across the pond. You want to kill him yourself after reading in depth the things he does to the weak around him. However as the story progresses to his hardships there is a sense of guilt , pity for Alex. This is where the writers excellence truly shown. He made the worst character possible; sympathetic. I was completely amazed by myself how I went from hatting Alex to having the upmost pity for. Because he writes through the eyes of Alex the meaning of the novel could mean that psychopaths never see there issues their fault. When I first read the book I though the meaning was to show how well abusers can manipulate their victims. That Alex by telling his story to us is manipulating us into sympathy through the pages. However after further research I have done I found that others believe that the novel is expressing the cruelty of society on man based off the quoit; “Is it better for a man to choose madness or to have goodness to be apposed on him?”(Anthony). Personal i am still not sure what side that makes the author on. You could say the sympathy for Alex puts him on the side that it is better to be one self even if that means madness. I would imagine that would be closer to his truth in writing the novel. 

Comments

  1. Like you said, some serious props must be given to the author if they are able to give a horrible character like Alex some redemption. It's interesting that there's so much debate over the meaning of the book, but that's also a good sign. I'd think it'd mean that the content shows both sides well enough to inspire debate. Sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment